Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hong Kong - Dec 7th 06

I went out for Thai food in HK tonight. I went with Yasmin, the musician who's working on the show with us. Whilst at the wee food providing establishment we randomly met some one she knew from an island that she used to live on. This chap, from England, called Survinder, had lived in Orkney for 7 years. He was George Mackay Brown's personal secretary. So we had an interesting talk about Scottish literature and how neither of us really liked Andrew Greig's writing that much, and couldn't understand what all the hype was about. All very odd.

After eating, I went to go and browse in a local HMV. Standing at the traffic lights I noticed that a lady was pointing at me in mute horror.
"Calm down dear, I'm only a white boy from Hunters Quay" thought I.
Then another of her friends pointed as well. And another.
I thought, "What the Jimminy Cricket?"

I currently have a beard, to make me look older for the show.

I felt my beard twitch slightly.

I put my hand on my neck and felt something on it. Something solid and odd.
I brushed it away, making a noise that doesn't type well, but sounds a bit like "uuuuuuugggjjjjaaaagagagagagkq", but uttered in one burst.

The ladies were still pointing at me.

The What-Ever-It-Was, was still there.

Again brushed my neck, slightly more frantically this time, and bumped in to a chap behind me.
Satisfyingly I felt the
What-Ever-It-Was falling from my neck and going Somewhere Else.

The Somewhere Else in question happened to be the face of the lady next to me. Who was on a mobile phone and didn't really seem too bothered.
And then she noticed people looking at her, as a large cockroach tried to untangle its self from her hair.
She "urghed" and jiggled it out of her hair. Jiggle, in this case, doesn't do the motion quite the justice the action deserves, but there we are.

It landed on the ground with a thud and the car - light - pedestrian interface attendees all stared in disgust at the beastie.

It was large enough to feed a small family for a week.
In another life I think it very well may have been a prop in Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, from the banqueting sequence.

Then the lights changed and we all calmly crossed the road.

How it got on to my neck, I'll never know, and what I would've done if the ladies hadn't stood, pointed and gawped, I'll likewise never know.
It may have been ended up as an inadvertently tasty after dinner snack?
Seeing as I'm here for a production of Kafka's work, including the Metamorphosis, it seems vaguely appropriate.

To lighten the mood a little, here are some photos from my recent light capturing endeavours.


A couple sitting on the beach at the end of the street here, looking out on to HK.


The IFC 1 tower. In a terribly ponsy shot. This, trully is AR(se)T. I think a new movement should be pioneered called AR(se)T, where all shots are taken in such a manner, and worse.


Fishing boats in the harbour behind the typhoon shelter along the causeway to Sai Wan on Cheung Chau.
I love the fishing boats here, they're like giant Japanese Spider crabs.

As always if you want to see a larger copy of the images, please double click on them.






1 Comments:

At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.

"uuuuuuugggjjjjaaaagagagagagkq"

The 'Q' was very unexpected. Adds a certain Je ne sais quoi to the phrase.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home