Friday, December 15, 2006

Hong Kong - Dec 16th 06

So.

The show has started, and all is well.

The set up of theatres here seems to be pretty much the same as at home.
With some crucial differences that I find a bit odd.
  • The technical crew do not wear shorts in the Hong Kong Theatre.
In Britain it is well known that all technicians (mostly the male of the species) tend to wear shorts no matter what the weather, when working in the theatre.
I was thrown by this, I admit, but I will survive.

  • The Sound and Lighting designers during the tech did not lounge about and read The Sun or The FT when they weren't required, they practiced Tai Chi.
Now that, to my mind, is pretty cool.

The theatre is built on the site of the old railway station that linked Kowloon to the rest of China. It's a massive building, with three auditoriums, and totally with out windows. It's on the sea front, so there was a bit of a missed opportunity for a nice theatre cafe there, selling buns and other such interval goodies.

Finished reading Gravity's Rainbow. All very silly. I liked it a lot, but boy was it silly. That's probably why I liked it.
I'm now reading a few of Murakami's short stories.
I've got the first Jeeves and Wooster book to read for the plane home, but it's so thin I'll probably have read it by the time we taxi off...

So all is well.
Today we have two more shows, and then on Sunday, one more and that's it. Job finished.
Coal all spent.
Awwwww.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home